HOW WE CAN WORK TOGETHER
AUTHORS AND AGENTS
My background is in science fiction and fantasy editing, although I have worked on romance and thrillers as well and have edited a number of graphic novels. If you have a manuscript that you believe would benefit from my assistance, please email me a description of your material and the kind of help you’re looking for.
If the project seems like a possible fit for me, I’ll ask you to send the full manuscript. After a quick review of the manuscript, I will suggest one of the following approaches:
- Structural editing: An in-depth analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the material, focusing on major issues such as pacing, characterization, story structure, and narrative focus.
- Line editing: Includes copyediting to correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation, as well as a strengthening of the work on a line-by-line basis.
- Copyediting: If your manuscript is in good shape otherwise, simply a careful final edit to correct any grammar, spelling, or punctuation errors.
All of the above services are available. In addition, I have years of experience in managing the creation of graphic novels.
Graphic novel services include:
- Preparation of visual bible for artist if not provided with script
- Script edit
- Project management--tracking delivery of materials, corrections and approvals through all four stages:
- Coordination with in-house production department to ensure materials are delivered in proper form
- Creation of manuscript transmittal instructions for production department (including pagination layout and art log if required)
- Preparation of back-of-book material (artist sketchbook, “making-of” information, author Q&A, etc.)
Rates are based on either an hourly or project basis, to be determined after initial review of the manuscript.
Betsy Mitchell has been a New York science fiction/fantasy editor for more than 30 years, holding senior positions at Baen, Bantam Spectra, Warner Books, and the Random House Publishing Group, where she spent ten years as Vice President/Editor-in-Chief of Del Rey.
She has edited more than 150 titles, including such works as Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon, Bearers of the Black Staff by Terry Brooks, Virtual Light by William Gibson, and Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik (all New York Times bestsellers); the Hugo Award-winner Hyperion by Dan Simmons, and the Nebula Award-winner Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler. She received a World Fantasy Award for co-editing the anthology Full Spectrum 4.
In May 2004 she oversaw the launch of Del Rey Manga and went on to edit a number of graphic novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers The Exile by Diana Gabaldon, Odd is on Our Side by Dean Koontz and Fred van Lente, and Blood Work by Kim Harrison.